Friday, May 16, 2008

White-eyed Vireo

So, the streak of rarities in the Sault continues! I heard from Kirk that somebody saw a WEVI down at the Locks yesterday, so I decided to see if it was true. Turns out it was, and I found the vireo pretty quickly. On the bigby list (#125), and a new bird for me in SSM! Also had a ton of singing Yellow Warblers and American Redstarts, along with a few other warbler sp. I ran into Ken who is back from field work, and told him about the vireo. He saw it, along with a bunch of other things that I hadn't seen just 2 hours before!! Why were they quiet when I was there??? Anyway, it's a good sign, as I am trying a Big Day on Sunday, hoping to break my last year's total of 121 (aiming for 140). In the hour or so I was at the Locks and Bellevue, I found about 65 sp. And that's in the middle of the day! Philadelphia Vireo was also new for my year list.

WPBO has had some good birds this month, unfortunately I haven't been there to see any! Hopefully I will get over there tomorrow for a while.

Here are my shots...it didn't come out into the open unfortunately.

White-eyed Vireo at the Locks - May 16

No comments: