Saturday, August 30, 2008

Hummer rescue

A hummer got stuck in my shed just a few minutes ago, and was lucky my brother happened to get his bike out and notice it! I went out and managed to get it fairly quickly and without too much stress on the bird, then grabbed my camera and got my mom to make up a bit of sugar water. After a few minutes of recouping, it managed to drink almost a full teaspoon of the water, then took off into a nearby tree to preen and rest for a bit. A happy ending!

Resting

Drinking the sugar water - see her tongue?
I forgot to mention that my nightwatching the other night was fairly successful - had a Black-throated Green Warbler as well as a few others that I wasn't sure of. This morning as I walked out to the car I heard a Veery doing it's flight call - yard bird #96! There were also 3 or 4 different warblers up there but I didn't have much time as I had to get going. Maybe tomorrow morning I'll sit outside for a bit before heading to work.

No comments: