Friday, January 13, 2012

Quiz time

Well, it's been a month since I posted the Bird Song Quiz, and since it didn't fare so well, I'll try the more traditional photo quiz this time!

But first, the answer to the last one. First of all, thanks to Alvan for answering! The birds that I can hear in the background are White-throated Sparrow, Song Sparrow, Golden-crowned Kinglet and Magnolia Warbler. They are a little hard to hear over the Goldfinch though - maybe next time I will pick a species that doesn't sing so often!

So now for the quiz - since I am running out of 'good' quiz shots, here are some specks for you to try to ID! I think they should all be identifiable...





3 comments:

Brandon Holden said...

1 Parasitic Jaeger + 2 herring gulls at Whitefish Point, MI?

2. N. Mockingbird?

3. Red-tail?

Alvan Buckley said...

1: I'm assuming we're trying to ID the dark bird?
Ibis sp. - the wings seem like they're held forward which gives the impression of being an Ibis.
I don't really see a big bill so maybe it's just a goose or something else entirely different.

2: Shrike sp. (probably Northern Shrike but can't rule out Loggerhead).

3:Eagle sp.

Difficult quiz!

Anonymous said...

1. Jaeger of some sort - probably PAJA?

2. Not sure...considering there are leaves I wouldn't think its a N. Shrike...but it kinda looks like one! Perching like one too

3. Bald Eagle? Raptor sp. is the best I can do