Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pelee Stats

Since my last post I have been kept pretty busy between dawn-to-dusk birding at Pelee, a quick trip home to recharge and repack my stuff, and now work. That's my excuse for the lack of postings anyway. Now that I am fairly settled in here I will try to go through the 5500+ photos I took at Pelee (plus a few since!) and post a few on here, hopefully daily for the next little while!

Before I get into the boring stats of my Pelee trip, an update: I'm now in Deep River until the end of June, working at the Petawawa Research Forest for the Canadian Institute of Forestry and the Canadian Forest Service, doing point counts for birds in the early morning (4am wakeup times suck), and tree plots in the late morning/early afternoon. Combined with a 20-min commute each way and a lunch break, I get home in the mid-afternoon sometime, just in time to do emails, cook dinner and go to bed! Oh, and the bugs are pretty horrendous here, hopefully they die off sometime soon... If I end up having any days off (which I may or may not), I plan on doing a bit of birding in Eastern Ontario, and maybe chasing that Lapwing that's been hanging out north of Montreal (if it sticks...).

Now, on to some Pelee stats (pics to come when I get some edited).

Days: 18 (afternoon of April 28 - morning of May 16)

Nights I slept in my car: 6 (thanks Barb and Brandon for putting me up!)

Total species seen: 227 (223 in Pelee plus 4 additional on Walpole Island)

Total number of local rarities: 31 (individuals, not counting the 28 Willets)

Total OBRC write-ups I have to do in the near future: 11 (1 more if that Chickadee turns out to be a Carolina) - for the first while I was averaging an OBRC bird a day!

Total new Ontario birds: 10 (Painted Bunting, Henslow's Sparrow, Chuck-will's-Widow (2), Townsend's Warbler, Swallow-tailed Kite, Black-necked Stilt, Laughing Gull, Northern Bobwhite, Eurasian Collared-Dove, Pacific Loon) - pretty much the same as the OBRC list except Laughing Gull and Bobwhite aren't OBRC birds and I also had Kirtland's Warbler and Piping Plover which weren't new Ontario birds but are on the review list!

That's all for now, stay tuned for some pics...I'll leave you with a couple I took at Gros Cap the first night I was back home.



1 comment:

ljb said...

Love your little write ups ... you shine through the words. Hugs!